Learn how to keep your carpet smelling fresh all summer long
Carpets are prone to staining due to everyday activities, regardless of how careful you are. While stains are easier to remove if addressed quickly, the unpleasant smell they leave can be hard to remove. However, it doesn’t have to stay that way. Keep reading to learn proactive ways to keep your carpets smelling fresh this summer.
Handle Spills Effectively
- Spills on carpets are particularly common during summers when everybody is home. The food-related spills can result in unpleasant odors, making it important to address them promptly to prevent lingering smells. For instance, when left untreated, spills from milk can develop strong odors as they decompose. Therefore, preventing them from seeping into the carpet padding and subfloor below is crucial to avoid odors.
Address them quickly by scraping away solid particles from the spill. Then, gently blot the area to soak up the liquid and avoid rubbing as it pushes the stain deeper into the fibers. Use a solution of warm water and dishwashing detergent to ensure freshness. However, a stronger chemical like hydrogen peroxide is needed to eliminate the stain and odor if you have blood stains.
Reduce Odors By Controlling Activities
- Limiting activities that contribute to odors is essential to maintain fresh-smelling carpets. Do not smoke indoors, as the lingering scent of cigarette smoke can penetrate the carpet fibers. Run exhaust fans when cooking and close doors to adjacent rooms with carpets to minimize the spread of odors. In addition, cooking outdoors on a grill can help reduce the odors. Implement these proactive measures to limit the unpleasant odors in your carpets effectively.
- Proper ventilation is another tip to prevent carpets from absorbing odors in your home. Improving indoor ventilation can help eliminate odors before they are absorbed into the carpets.
In addition, keep your windows open to allow the fresh air inside and remove stale odors. Install exhaust fans in kitchens and bathrooms to draw smells out of your house and run the exhaust while these areas are used.
Freshen Your Carpets With Baking Soda
- Using a deodorizer powder can help keep your carpet smelling fresh. However, instead of relying on store-bought products, you can effortlessly make your carpet deodorizer using baking soda. It is a natural ingredient that is effective in neutralizing the unpleasant odors.
You can use plain baking soda or enhance it with a pleasant scent by adding a few drops of essential oil. Nevertheless, be cautious if you have pets at home, as some essential oils, such as eucalyptus, tea tree, citrus, peppermint, and pine, can harm pets.
Follow these steps to make your carpet smell fresh:
- Sprinkle the baking soda across the entire carpet.
- Allow the baking soda to sit on the carpet overnight or overnight.
- Vacuum up the baking soda to produce a fresh-smelling carpet.
Remove Shoes Outdoors
- Shoes are the main source of dirt and bacteria from the outdoors. Unfortunately, 90% of these bacteria end up on carpets when you wear your shoes indoors. These invisible bacteria dragged in from outdoors can be a health hazard for your family. In addition, the contaminants add to the odors in your carpet, making them smell unpleasant. Therefore, it is advisable to implement a no-shoe policy in your home for family and guests.
If you are dealing with carpet problems, don’t hesitate to seek assistance from professional carpet cleaning services. Get your carpets cleaned by industry experts. Love Your Carpet is a reputable carpet cleaning company in Las Vegas. We specialize in all types of Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning. So save your time and energy, and let our professionals work for you. Call us today at 702-898-6070 for a free quote.