Here are some important dos and don’ts of carpet cleaning for the long life of your carpet
Carpets are important household accessories. They add grace and vibrance to a room, but they can be a real nuisance as they attract dirt and pollutants all the time. Keeping the carpets clean and stain-free can be a daunting and time-consuming task. When cleaning the carpet, it is important to practice caution, lest you damage the fibers of the carpet.
How to keep your carpet clean while maintaining its good looks? Let us run you through some important dos and don’ts of carpet cleaning.
Do’s of Carpet Cleaning
- Vacuuming your carpet daily will keep it dirt and allergen-free for a long time. Regular vacuuming makes sure that no debris gets accumulated at the bottom layers of the carpet. If you vacuum your carpet frequently, you can go much longer between deep cleaning sessions.
Invest in a quality vacuum cleaner. Nowadays, smart vacuums are available which do much of the work themselves. Look for a vacuum with stronger suction, lighter weight, and enhanced portability.
Lay Out Door Mats
- To keep your carpets clean, it is important to stop the dirt from entering your homes. The best way to do that is to place doormats at strategic locations of the home. Doormats act as filters. They absorb much of the dirt which enters a home through the soles of one’s shoes.
Try placing walk-off mats at almost all entrances especially the ones that open up at high soil areas such as backyards and garages etc.
Use Carpet Cleaning Solution to Remove Stains
If your carpet gets stained due to spillover, perform the following actions:
- Blot away the stain with a microfiber cloth. Use a special carpet cleaning solution that contains ammonia.
- If you don’t have an ammonia-based solution, try a homemade solution consisting of warm water and vinegar. Spray it over the stain and then sprinkle baking soda on it. Blot it away with a microfiber towel. This helps get most of the stain out of the carpet.
- Avoid using a hot steam cleaner on a stain as it makes it more permanent and difficult to remove.
Dont’s of Carpet Cleaning
We have covered some basic dos of carpet cleaning. Now let us take a look at some important don’ts, which you should abide by.
Don’t Use Too Much Water Too Often
- Hot water extraction is used for removing stubborn stains and dead set dirt. Whereas hot water extraction is effective in cleaning carpets, overdoing it can be quite disastrous. The reason being that if the water is not properly and quickly dried from the carpet, it can cause a bloom of microbial growth in the carpet.
This can lead to mildew, rotting of carpet, and formation of spores. The carpet will start to stink and will become very unhygienic to be kept inside the room.
Don’t Use The Wrong Type of Carpet Cleaner
- Your carpet will face different types of spills such as coffee, oil, and paint, to name a few. It is important to know that all these spills have different chemistry and they cannot be treated with the same carpet cleaning solution.
For example, organic stains that are caused by vomit or urine should be treated with an odor-removing carpet cleaner. Oil and grease stains should be removed using a water-based non-flammable formula. If you are not careful about the type of carpet cleaning solution you use, it can cause permanent damage to the carpet.
- This information has been brought to you by Love Your Carpet. They offer carpet cleaning services in Las Vegas.