Here is the list of DIY hacks to extend the life of upholstery
Upholstered furniture is often the most significant interior investment. Since they are the most heavily used items in the home, everyday use, wear and tear, and spills contribute to diminishing their appearance. Fortunately, proper maintenance and care can help keep your upholstery in a good shape and extend its life. Pay attention to these tips to take care of your favorite upholstered furniture.
Set Up A Vacuuming Schedule
- Regular maintenance and cleaning are essential in extending the life of the upholstery. As you do for your floor, establish a regular vacuuming schedule for the upholstered furniture. Whenever a floor is vacuumed, try to vacuum the upholstery as well. Even if the upholstery looks clean, dirt, skin cells, bacteria, and germs are embedded deep into the fabric. This eventually leads to discoloration and the appearance of spots that are hard to eliminate.
Regular vacuuming ensures that the potential stain causers don’t get a chance to settle into the fabric and damage its appearance. The brush attachment of the vacuum cleaner works well for this purpose. It gets between the fibers of the upholstery and cleans all the hidden grime. In addition, vacuuming allows you to keep the pet hair off of your furniture. Alternatively, you can use a sticky roller and run it across the upholstered furniture to pick up stray hairs.
Apply Upholstery Protectors
- Upholstery protectors are an intelligent investment that prolongs the lifespan of your upholstery by preventing small spills from turning into significant stains. These products prevent liquids from being absorbed into the upholstery fabric. Upholstery protectors work by quickly bloating up the falls. Thus, keeping them from damaging the color and appearance of the upholstery. These products protect the upholstery from long-term damage.
In addition, upholstery protectors are inexpensive, work even on delicate materials, and leave your furniture completely clean and odorless. Plenty of sprays on the market are designed to protect upholstery from potential spills. They are applied once a year and provide a hassle-free way to extend the life of the upholstery. However, it is essential to ensure that the product you choose is suitable for your particular upholstery.
Protect From The Sun
- It is crucial to keep your upholstery away from direct sunlight. Over time, sunlight can damage the colors of all kinds of upholstery. This makes the upholstered furniture look dull and faded and causes the fabric to tear. Make sure your furniture is not placed under direct sunlight. However, if this is not possible, a UV-resistant window treatment or high-quality blinds can minimize the damage to your upholstery.
Regularly Rotate Cushions
- Over time, couch cushions lose their plumpness and dent in the areas that get sat on the most. Flipping and rotating couch cushions weekly can help keep them in tip-top condition. This also prevents sagging, distributes the plumpness, and keeps the cushions fluffy for long. In addition, rotating helps avoid wear in certain areas and extends their life.
Hire Professional Assistance
- Deep cleaning your upholstery improves the appearance and durability of the furniture. Skilled professionals can revive the dull and faded upholstered furniture in a matter of minutes, ensuring longevity and the best looks for years to come. Setting up an annual or biannual professional cleaning schedule can go a long way in extending the life of your upholstery.
Love Your Carpet is here to help with all of your upholstered furniture needs. Our highly experienced and qualified team of upholstery and carpet cleaners delivers promising results. We can help you remove any kind of stain. We have been working in Las Vegas since 1996. Call us today at 702-898-6070 for a free quote.