Read on to find out about 5 essentials maintenance tips for keeping upholstery in good shape
Upholstery and furniture are a sizable investment for most homeowners. Most people would like to see them last at least a few years before replacing them. While normal wear and tear are inevitable, regular maintenance and cleaning can help prolong the upholstery’s life. Read below about the 5 useful maintenance tips for keeping upholstery in good shape.
Avoid Direct Sunlight Exposure
- Sunlight contains harmful UV rays which can affect the look and feel of the upholstery, especially if it is made up of leather, leatherette, and fine fabrics. Prolonged exposure to high-intensity sunlight results in fading, as well as decreases the durability of the furniture’s upholstery.
If your furniture is placed in a room where it is exposed to a lot of sunlight, it is advisable to install curtains and blinds on the windows.
Regularly Use DIY Stain Removers
- DIY stain removers are chemicals specially designed for removing different types of stains on upholstery, carpets, and fabrics. These are widely available across all major retail and cleaning supplies stores.
Cleaning your upholstery as soon as it gets stained helps to prolong its life and appearance. Some people prefer using stain protectors as a pre-emptive measure to protect against stains. Stain protectors form a thin layer over the upholstery as extra protection against tough stains and sunlight. It is comparatively easier to clean a stain if a stain protector has been used.
Use A Vacuum Cleaner
- Dust can also cause damage to upholstery if it is not cleaned regularly. Over time the dust can form a semi-permanent layer, thus causing the upholstery to look faded and old. As the furniture is used, this layer of dust becomes permanent and more difficult to remove. Dust particles have an abrasive effect, causing unintended wear and tear as well as cutting of the upholstery’s materials.
The best way to protect furniture from dust damage is to use a vacuum cleaner. Many vacuum cleaners have special attachments which can be used to clean different material types. They also come in different sizes which helps to clean hard-to-reach spots. Regular vacuum cleaning helps prolong the upholstery’s life.
Follow Cleaning Instructions On The Tag
- Whenever new furniture and new upholstery are bought, their tags are cut and thrown away. Most people don’t even bother to read the instructions. This is the single biggest mistake that prevents upholstery from maintaining its appearance for a long time.
The tag contains useful information such as cleaning and care instructions, contents of the upholstery, and any other information which might help one take good care of it. The instructions can also help deal with tough stains. If the sight of an uncut tag seems unpleasant, they may be kept separately in a safe place.
Hire A Professional
- For best results, it is advisable to hire a professional cleaning service. Most cleaners recommend professional cleaning services at least once a year. Not only are they trained for this job, but they also have specialized equipment at their disposal. They know how to remove tough stains without causing damage to your upholstery.
Even if your furniture and upholstery appear clean, it is still recommended to hire professional cleaners. The industry standard is to use hot water extraction and anti-microbial solutions. These deep-cleaning methods will help prolong the life and appearance of your upholstery.
If you are looking for a professional cleaning service for your upholstery and furniture then get in touch with Love Your Carpet. We are a team of industry-accredited professionals, working since 1996 to bring the best cleaning services in Las Vegas. Call us today at 702-898-6070 and get a free quote for all your cleaning needs.