Here is a list of tile cleaning mistakes that can shorten the life of your tiles
When complemented with elegant pieces of furniture, tiles become a focal point and add an irresistible charm to your home. Like any surface in a home, tiles require careful cleaning and regular maintenance. If you don’t clean them properly, the tiles will look dull, lifeless, and unsightly within no time. For your understanding, we have listed cleaning mistakes you must avoid.
Using Waxes, Oils, And Sealers
- Although wax-based cleaning agents offer some protection against stains, odors, and scratches, they are not suitable for long-term use. This is because waxes give rise to several issues, ultimately leading to increased maintenance costs. Careful considerations should be given to stripping and reapplication of waxes and sealers. When not thoroughly stripped, it can lead to unsightly wax build-up, which turns yellow and attracts dirt over time.
Whereas when oil-based cleaners are applied to glazed tiles, they increase the risk of slip and fall incidents. Application of sealers can be tricky, especially if you lack the knowledge and experience. You could end up with stained, slippery tiles, peeling, and flaking grout lines. It is better to hire professional tile and grout cleaners for the selection and application of a proper sealer.
Using Harsh Chemicals For Cleaning
- Regular use of cleaning agents that consist of bleach, ammonia, or muriatic acid can damage and discolor your tiles. These harsh chemicals should not be used for routine tile and grout floor cleaning. They cause premature deterioration of grout. In addition, mishandling of these chemicals can cause burns or respiratory problems. Plumbing fixtures, appliances, and other belongings are vulnerable to damage caused by splashes or spills.
Baking soda is a versatile natural alternative that can be used with white vinegar to remove stains. Baking soda cuts through the heavy build-up of grime and returns the shine of your tiles. You can also use a mixture of dishwashing soap and warm water for cleaning.
Word Of Caution
- If you have marble tiles, do not use baking soda and white vinegar for cleaning as they may scratch the surface. Instead, buy pH-neutral commercial products for safe cleaning of your floor.
Mopping Before Sweeping
- The tiled floor needs to be swept before you can mop it. This is a necessary step for the adequate maintenance and durability of the bed. However, people often neglect this step. When a mop is run on the remaining particles and debris, this can cause scratches on the surface. In addition, the uncleaned dirt on the floor creates a slushy mess that becomes hard to clean. Therefore, it is essential to sweep or vacuum your floor before you start mopping it.
Using A Dirty Mop
- Another common mistake is using a wet mop and dirty water for cleaning. When you use a dirty mop, you are just spreading dirty water around the floor and creating more mess for yourself. Changing the water more often and using a damp clean mop for cleaning is advisable. Thoroughly rinse your mop after each clean and replace it every few months.
Using Abrasive Materials For Cleaning
- You may be passionate about getting all the stains and dirt out of your tiles and grout, do not use steel wool or scouring pads. Cleaning with abrasive tools can lead to permanent scratches and stains and ruin the glossy finish of your floor.
Give your floor the cleaning it deserves by hiring a professional cleaner. At Love Your Carpet, we provide the best tile cleaning services for your floor. We aim to protect your tile floors and treat them with the best products and methods. We are one of the best grout cleaning service providers in Las Vegas. Call us today at 702-898-6070 and get a free quote for all your cleaning needs.