Discover the 5 shocking ways flood damages your home and belongings
According to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), water damage caused by floods is among the most prevalent and expensive threats in the United States. Unfortunately, standard insurance policies typically do not cover losses caused by water damage from flooding, leaving many property owners vulnerable to significant financial losses. Read on to learn about the ways flood damages your property.
Health And Safety Hazards
- If the flood water is not removed promptly, it can result in various health and safety hazards. These risks include damage to buildings and electrical systems, polluted water, broken sewage and drainage systems, damaged crops, and more. When floodwater comes into contact with electrical outlets, wiring, and appliances, it creates a dangerous situation. For instance, electrical damage can occur due to short circuits caused by flood water, leading to overheating and fires.
In addition, floodwater can cause power surges, damaging electronic equipment and appliances. To prevent electrical damage and potential hazards, turning off the electricity supply to the affected area is essential until it can be inspected. It’s also advisable to have professional flood restoration services inspect the damage and make necessary repairs.
Damage To Property
- One of the significant outcomes of flooding is the destruction of property. Homes, commercial structures, vehicles, personal belongings, and equipment can undergo substantial damage. The effects of a flood on properties can be devastating.
Restoration measures such as using dewatering pumps to remove water as quickly as possible can help limit the extent of damage and save the victims both time and money in the long run.
Mold Damage To Belongings
- Mold growth occurs when there is moisture, warmth, and organic matter for mold spores to feed on. Floodwater provides an ideal environment for mold growth, especially if it is not promptly removed. Mold can grow on various surfaces, including walls, floors, carpets, furniture, and personal belongings.
In addition, mold can cause damage to the affected surfaces and items, including discoloration, warping, and deterioration. More importantly, mold can pose a significant health risk to humans, especially those with allergies, asthma, or weakened immune systems. Removing all standing water and drying the affected areas as soon as possible is essential to prevent mold growth after flooding. This can be done using pumps, dehumidifiers, and fans.
- Economic damage due to flooding can be immense, especially since many insurance companies do not cover losses resulting from natural disasters. This can lead to a significant financial burden on those affected by flood damage, including individuals, businesses, and even entire communities.
In addition to homes, businesses may experience disruptions in operations, resulting in lost revenue and profits. The costs associated with rebuilding damaged infrastructure can be substantial. Taking prompt measures to mitigate water damage can help minimize the financial damage associated with flooding.
Damage to Foundation
- Floodwater can cause damage to the foundation of a home, especially if not removed timely. Water can destabilize the foundation, leading to cracks, shifting, and settling. The damage to the foundation can compromise the home’s structural integrity, leading to further damage to other parts of the building.
To prevent damage to the foundation of a home, it’s essential to take preventative measures such as installing a drainage system around the home. A drainage system can redirect water from the foundation and prevent soil erosion. In addition, hiring flood restoration services can eliminate the risk of foundational damage.
Call a professional water damage specialist after a disaster and get the help you need today. Move back into your home or restart your business quickly by hiring experienced Flood Restoration Services. Love Your Carpet provides flood restoration services for the Las Vegas Valley, whether from a burst pipe, water heater, appliance, sewage backup, or natural disaster. We offer a wide variety of water damage and flood repair services. Call us today at 702-898-6070.