Read this before it’s too late – The 7 essential steps after water damage
Water damage can cost homeowners up to $20 billion annually. Whether stemming from burst pipes or storm floods, excess water is a nightmare in any home. Quick action is the key to preventing property damage. Read this guide on immediate steps to take after water damage in your home.
Identify the Source of Leaks
- The initial task is to pinpoint the root cause of the issue. If a broken pipe is the culprit, promptly turn off the water supply to stop the flow. Identifying the water source is crucial for addressing the issue and for assessing the sanitation measures needed.
While water from a burst pipe may be clean, floods resulting from a sewer backup pose health risks due to potential contamination.
Cut Off The Power Supply
- For minor water incidents, power concerns may not be an immediate worry. However, in cases of significant flooding, especially in basements, electrical outlets could be submerged, posing a safety risk.
Cut off the power to prevent electrical hazards. If the circuit panel is in the basement, refrain from attempting to reach it. Instead, contact your utility company to handle the power shutdown.
Opt for Professional Inspection
- Hire flood restoration experts to assess the extent of the damage. The assessment involves identifying the type of water infiltration, affected areas, and degree of damage. Once the damage has been assessed, the professionals determine the appropriate restoration procedure.
In addition, thoroughly inspect your wiring. This includes assessing any electronic appliances that may have undergone damage during the flood. Before plugging anything back in, it’s crucial to determine what is safe to use.
- Professionals prioritize removing excess water from the affected area with the help of vacuums or pumps. The restoration company promptly removes the water to prevent further damage to the property and belongings.
Once the water is removed, the affected area is thoroughly dried to prevent mold growth. In addition, the use of dehumidifiers and fans can assist in speeding up the drying process.
- Following the extraction of water and thorough drying, a flood restoration company disinfects the affected area. Comprehensive sanitization is imperative to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria, mitigating potential health risks. The restoration company effectively eliminates bacteria and harmful contaminants by sanitizing the space.
Recovery and Drying
- The final phase of this process involves restoring the affected area to its original state. This encompasses the replacement of damaged materials such as drywall, flooring, and insulation. The restoration company assumes responsibility for ensuring the restored area is safe and devoid of potential health hazards.
Water damage poses a significant threat to your home and belongings if left unattended. Therefore, engaging professional flood restoration experts to restore your property and minimize the risk of costly replacements is crucial.
- Taking quick action to thoroughly dry the space within the initial 24 hours of water damage can prevent mold growth. However, mold spores thrive wherever unchecked moisture persists, including HVAC ducts and beneath flooring.
Calling a mold remediation specialist might not be necessary if you efficiently handled the excess water. Nevertheless, seeking professional assistance for a mold inspection is a proactive measure to ensure the health and well-being of your household.
Call a professional water damage specialist after a disaster and get the help you need today. Move back into your home or restart your business quickly by hiring experienced Flood Restoration Services. Love Your Carpet provides flood restoration services for the Las Vegas Valley, whether from a burst pipe, water heater, appliance, sewage backup, or natural disaster. We offer a wide variety of water damage and flood repair services. Call us today at (702) 898-6070.