Pros reveal carpet cleaning secrets for that may surprise you a lot
In the previous article, we discussed a number of practical tips to keep carpets clean and get rid of stains and spillovers on the spot. Let us learn some more practical tips for clean and stain-free carpets.
5) Use a Squeegee To Remove Pet Hair
- Anyone who owns a pet or two knows how difficult it is to remove pet hair from the carpets. They are fine and short and get embedded deep inside the carper’s dense fibers. Even the toughest vacuum cleaners don’t do a very good job at removing them from carpets.
However, a squeegee can help you. Even though squeegees are made for cleaning flat surfaces, they work well on short-hair carpets that are laden with pet hair. Squeegees are designed to dislodge debris that forms thin layers and sticks to a surface which is how pet hair appears on short-fiber carpets. Water the squeegee and run it over the carpet to trap pet hair.
6) Use Ice Cubes to Remove Chewing Gum
- Chewing gums are difficult to remove from any surface. But removing stuck-up chewing gum from carpets is an absolute nightmare. To make things easy, take a few ice cubes and hold them against the stuck chewing gum for 30 – 40 seconds. This will solidify the gum, making it easier to remove.
Grab a spoon to lift it up and then cut the chewing gum from the carpet fibers using a scissor or sharp knife. Be very precise in cutting the carpet so that very few fibers are removed in the process.
7) Melt Away The Hardened Wax
- Wax may drip from burning candles and ruin your carpet. Wax can be quite tricky to remove but this hack results in easy removing of the wax. Take a white cloth and place it over the wax. Take iron and set it on the ‘no steam’ setting. Place the iron on the cloth. The heat from the iron will cause the wax to melt and become liquid. Scoop the liquid wax in a spoon or scrape it with a butter knife or comb.
8) Use Organic Deordrizer to Freshen The Carpets
Bad-smelling carpets are a nuisance. To get rid of odors, use an organic deodorizer which can be prepared as follows:
- Place two tablespoons of Borax in a big container.
- Add 10 drops of essential oil into the borax. Use essential oil with a mild scent.
- Add two cups of baking soda into the borax oil mixture.
Sprinkle this mixture over your carpet and let it settle for 30 to 60 minutes. The baking soda absorbs odors, oil gives a nice scent and borax kills microbes, due to its germicidal properties.
9) Fix Furniture Dents with Ice Cubes
- Heavy furniture can leave dents on the carpet. They make your carpet look old and worn out. Furniture dents become more visible when the furniture is moved around. This may surprise you but ice cubes can help get rid of them. Put an ice cube on the dents and leave it for a while till it melts. Blot the extra water and place a towel over the spot. Dry the area using an iron (while covered with the towel).
Once dry, the fibers have retained some of their volumes back. Fluff them with hand to get them back to their original position.
These carpet cleaning tips will come in handy from time to time. However, do not forget to get your carpets professionally cleaned after every 6-12 months. If you are residing in Las Vegas or nearby areas, contact Love Your Carpets. We provide professional carpet cleaning services. Call us at 702-898-6070.