Here are some important factors to consider when buying a carpet
In the previous article, we discussed a few important factors to consider when buying a carpet. Let us continue exploring along the same theme.
The Right Padding
Padding is one of the most important factors as it provides support, strength, cushioning, and durability to the carpet. It is the foundation on which the carpet fibers are laid. Carpets with poor padding are prone to fast wear and tear irrespective of the fibers used in their making.
Rubber and foam are the most common materials used for padding. Padding offers the following advantages:
- Gives a uniform appearance to the finished floor and hides and any imperfections existing in the subfloor.
- It acts as insulation and traps the heat indoors.
- It also acts as a sound absorber, ensuring your privacy and controlling noise pollution.
- It provides adhesion to the carpet and prevents the carpet fibers from falling apart due to constant use.
Carpets that are made for high-traffic areas require dense and firm padding while those carpets that receive light and inconsistent traffic work well with light padding as well.
Beware of The Environmental Impact
- New carpets have a distinctive smell. This smell is caused due to the presence of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) such as formaldehyde. To preserve the carpets and retain their appearance, manufacturers use VOCs and other compounds. US EPA has identified VOCs as indoor air pollutants and they interfere with our breathing. They are the leading causes of asthma and allergies. Carpet padding and adhesives are often loaded with VOCs.
To protect your health, look for carpets that are made from organic and natural products such as wool, and jute, etc. Environment-friendly carpets are free from chemical dyes. Hence, by choosing correctly, you can keep the emissions of toxic fumes at bay.
- As a conscientious citizen, choose carpets that are made from recycled material such as water bottles. Prefer a carpet that has multiple sustainability certificates with the least ecological footprint.
Don’t Go Overboard With Your Budget
- Carpets are an expensive purchase. They can cost you quite a bit which is why it is important to determine a budget and stick with it. Look for carpets that fit your lifestyle and stay under your budget. Different rooms have different requirements. Choose carpets that are most suitable for each room.
For e.g. stain-resistant carpets are ideal for kid’s nurseries or the family room. So choose a good quality durable carpet, even if it’s on the higher end of the price spectrum. For studies and guest rooms where the traffic is considerably low, you can choose more affordable carpets.
- When determining the budget, also keep in mind replacement and maintenance costs. For e.g. it is more prudent to opt for carpet tile flooring if you have kids or pets instead of rolled carpeting. This way if some portion of the carpet gets spoiled, you can replace it with new tiles rather than cleaning the entire carpet or having it replaced. This easy fix will keep your carpet looking new for a long time.
Different materials come with different price tags. Choose a carpet that is a perfect balance between price and comfort. Carpets that are made from wool are very soft and luxurious, however, they come with a higher price tag. High-end nylon and other synthetics have a comfortable feel and they have a lower cost than wool. Olefin and polyester are low-cost carpets that are ideal for basements or stairways.
All carpets, irrespective of size, color, pile, and making need to be cleaned thoroughly from time to time. Love Your Carpets provide professional carpet cleaning services in Las Vegas and nearby areas. To get a free estimate of our services, call us at 702-898-6070.