For the longevity of your expensive carpets, here are some must-know carpet care and maintenance tips
Carpets are an important household item. They are central to the look of a room and add grace and charm. They have practical value too. They offer insulation from heat loss and muffle sounds, are comfortable to walk on, and reduce the risk of injury from an accidental fall. Depending upon the type of material, carpets can be quite expensive. Hence, to make them last longer, it is important to care for and maintain them.
Establishing a regular carpet cleaning and treating the issues on spot will protect your carpet and keep it clean and soft for the longest time. Let us take a look at some important carpet care and maintenance tips that every homemaker should know.
Regular Vacuuming is Crucial
Regular vacuuming is the key to keeping your carpet dirt and bacteria-free and sustaining it for a long time. High traffic areas require special attention and should be vacuumed on regular basis to preserve their appearance. Some useful tips regarding carpet vacuuming are:
- When the carpet is first laid, vacuum it slowly and gently twice a week.
- When vacuuming, give special attention to soiled areas. Lightly soiled areas should be vacuumed two to three times, while heavily soiled areas can be vacuumed five to seven times.
- In the first round, vacuum in the opposite direction of the pile to loosen up the dirt and grit and to reduce matting.
- In the second round, vacuum along the direction of the pile to get a uniform look.
- Steam cleaning, also called hot water extraction, is an effective carpet cleaning technique that uses high-heated water vapors to deep clean a carpet. The water vapors are transmitted into the carpet fibers through a powerful pump where they displace dirt, oils, bacteria, and stains that may cling tightly to the carpet fibers. After being dislodged, the water vapors and particles are removed through the sucking action of a hose.
Steam cleaning is an effective way of giving your carpet a deep and thorough clean. Steam cleaning is administered by professional carpet cleaners and cannot be performed at home. Carpets should be steam cleaned every 12-18 months.
- Spot cleaning is the practice of cleaning your carpet right away whenever a spill occurs or it gets dirty in some way. This prevents the stain from setting in too deep and leaving a permanent mark. Spot cleaning allows quick and easy removal of the stain. Whenever a hot liquid is spilled, it should be cleaned immediately. If the stain cools down and dries, removing it becomes more difficult.
Spot cleaning must be performed carefully. Incorrect technique can lead to the permanent setting of stain, deformation of the pile, and fading of the carpet color. Whenever a spill occurs, blot the stain with an absorbent towel. A good practice is to keep a carpet cleaning kit at hand which should contain special stain removal chemicals for different types of stains. Bleaches should be used with precaution as they can lead to the fading of colors and destroy the fabric.
Best Practices to Protect Your Carpet
The following best practices can help protect your carpet and extend its life:
- Placing mats in front of the door and other high traffic areas. The mats will absorb most of the dirt.
- Place chair pads underneath the chairs and use furniture coasters to prevent pressure marks from setting in. rearrange the furniture occasionally so the marks won’t set in.
- Avoid direct exposure to the sun for prolonged periods by putting curtains and blinders in place.
Following these tips will keep your carpet in good shape for long periods of time. If you are looking for professional carpet cleaning services in Las Vegas, contact Love Your Carpets. Call us at 702-898-6070 for a quote.