Read on to discover simple carpet care tips to extend their life
Over time, the accumulation of dirt, grease, and oil damages the carpet fibers and reduces the carpet’s lifespan. Treating the carpet right extends its life and keeps it in good shape for up to years. Adequate carpet care also reduces replacement costs and creates a welcoming home environment. Check out these carpet care tips that can sufficiently increase the life of your carpet.
Carpet Care Tip 1
- Vacuuming is the best way to increase the lifespan of a carpet and avoid the heavy cost of replacement. Entrance and heavy traffic areas should be vacuumed twice a week. Give the vacuum time to pick up deeper soil. Vacuum the rest of the carpeting at least once every week.
It is easier to remove dry soil by vacuuming. Removing it on regular basis will help minimize the damage to the carpet. Routine and thorough vacuuming is the most critical step in carpet care. However, it is important to start with a clean filter because a dirty bag or filter decreases the vacuum’s cleaning power.
- Another vital tip to prevent carpet damage is the use of walk-off mats. Walk-off mats help keep dry, gritty outdoor soil from being tracked on your carpet. Place entrance mats at your doors, and make sure to get rid of the debris and dirt off your shoes before entering inside.
The use of walk-off mats inside the house can further trap soil that may be missed by the outdoor carpets. Clean all mats and rugs regularly to prevent them from making your shoes dirty.
- If your pet has urinated on the carpet, act fast. Urine can damage not only carpet fibers but also changes their color. Use white paper towels to soak up the urine. Then use a mixture of dishwashing liquid and lukewarm water to clean the area. Apply the soapy water with paper towels. Once you are done, bloat the area with dry paper towels.
Repeat this process until your carpet is clean. Use clear water to rinse the soapy water and dry the carpet. In the end, use one part vinegar with two parts water to blot the carpet. Cover the area with thick layers of paper towels. Put a weight over the paper towels. Keep changing the towels until they no longer absorb moisture.
- The type of carpet padding you use has a significant impact on the life of your carpet. The use of the proper padding will increase the durability of the rug. However, the wrong pad can cut down the life of your carpet in half. A good quality pad will weigh at least 6 lbs and have a thickness of 3/8 to 1/2 inches. Use a thinner pad with a density of 8 lbs or more for high-traffic areas.
- The best strategy for maximizing the lifespan of a carpet is to hire professional cleaners at least once a year. It is better to hire professionals who use truck-mounted equipment for cleaning. The powerful suction of the equipment helps in the thorough drying of the carpet. In addition, truck-mounted equipment exhausts the dirty air and humidity outside.
This helps keep your home’s environment clean and fresh. Moreover, the high-pressure rinse used by the pros neutralizes the carpet’s pH, thus preventing microbial growth in the carpet fibers.
If you have a carpet that has been stained by wine, juice, pet urine, or any other type of mess, we can help. Love Your Carpet has served the Las Vegas Valley for over 20 years. Get in touch with us for upholstery and carpet cleaning services. Call us today at 702-898-6070 for a free quote.