Do you know these 5 cleaning mistakes that could be ruining your upholstery?
Upholstered furniture is prone to dirt and can take quite a beating, especially if you have children and a pet. Keeping your upholstery in mint condition requires commitment and professional help. However, if you are tempted to try it alone, avoid these cleaning mistakes that can ruin the upholstery.
- One of the biggest mistakes people make while cleaning their upholstery is vigorously scrubbing at stains. While rubbing stubborn stains, dirt, and grime may seem the best idea, scrubbing can tear the fibers and do more harm than good.
In addition, it can drive the dirt deeper into the fabric, making it even harder to clean. The best way to deal with the stains is to blot them with a clean cloth while fresh. However, use an upholstery spot cleaner for older stains, or better, call in professional upholstery cleaners for safe cleaning.
Using Water To Clean The Upholstery
- Exposing your upholstery to water is one of the worst mistakes people make. Even plain water can leave unsightly watermarks on the fabric, especially if it gets drenched. Therefore, soaking an area to remove a mark or lighten a stain is a bad idea, as the drenched area will leave a permanent mark once it dries.
For cleaning a larger section of the upholstered furniture, use minimal water to avoid over-saturating the fabric. Alternatively, use a steam cleaner to effectively clean and sanitize your upholstery without causing damage.
Using Harsh Cleaning Products
- It is imperative to select the right cleaning products for your upholstery. Products containing harsh chemicals, such as bleach or ammonia, should be avoided. They can cause discoloration and damage to upholstery fibers and even lead to holes or splitting.
Before purchasing a cleaning solution, check the type of upholstered furniture and ensure the product is safe and compatible with the fabric. If unsure, seeking advice from professional upholstery cleaners is always best. Professionals have the expertise and use the cleaning products that help preserve the quality and appearance of your upholstery.
Using The Wrong Tools
- Keep an eye on the type of tools used to clean upholstery, as using the wrong cleaning tools results in damage and discoloration. Therefore, choosing appropriate cleaning tools and techniques suitable for the fabric type and texture is crucial. For example, microfiber cloths are ideal for blotting or spot cleaning as they are soft and do not shed lint.
In addition, avoid using hard-bristle brushes on delicate fabrics, as they can cause much damage. Instead, use soft brushes where necessary, and do not over-brush. Finally, for delicate fabrics such as suede, consider using specialized brushes for cleaning. These tips will help keep your upholstery in pristine condition for a long.
Using Incorrect Fabric Protectors
- Fabric protectors help prevent potential staining and extend the lifespan of your furniture. However, incorrect use of fabric protectors can damage your upholstery substantially. While some fabric protectors can be applied at home, incorrect application or use of the wrong product will result in undesirable outcomes.
So, use the right type of protector for your specific upholstery and safe cleaning methods to keep your furniture looking its best. Seek professional assistance if you’re uncertain about fabric protectors’ type and application method.
If you fear you might damage your upholstery with DIY cleaning, hire our expert cleaners. We at Love Your Carpet are a highly experienced and qualified team of upholstery and carpet cleaners. We can help you remove any stains. We have been serving in Las Vegas since 1996. Call us today at 702-898-6070 for a free quote.