Read on to learn 5 hacks for cleaning mud off carpets
If your carpet has mud stains, then you’ll be glad to know that they are not permanent and can be easily removed. The first step for removing carpet stains is to let the stain dry by itself. Once it has dried up, you can try to vacuum it. Vacuuming helps remove major solidified chunks of mud. Thus, it helps make cleaning easier. You can follow one of the following 5 tips to clean mud stains from your carpet and make it look as good as new.
- If the above method didn’t bring out the desired results, you should consider using vinegar. It is one of the most preferred methods because it takes just 15 minutes and you won’t have to call a carpet cleaning service.
Take about half a cup of vinegar and mix it with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. Soak the stained area with this solution and let it sit for a while. Now take a brush with soft bristles and use it to gently rub the stained area. Next, soak a sponge with cold water and rinse the stained area.
- Repeat these steps until the stain has disappeared. Once you have achieved the desired results, dry the carpet with a clean towel.
Dish Washing Liquid
- Most mud stains can be effectively cleaned by using a dishwashing liquid. The first step is to wear protective gloves and pick up large chunks of mud from the stained area. If you have a vacuum cleaner with special attachments, you can use it to clean your carpet. After removing as much mud as possible, add some baking powder and salt to the stained area. Leave the stained area for a few hours to allow the salt to soak up moisture.
The next step is to vacuum the stained area. Take warm water in a spray bottle and add dishwashing liquid to it. Using the spray bottle, soak the stained area. Spray some solution on a clean cloth and use it to wipe the stained area gently. Next, use a paper towel to dab the stained area.
- Repeat this step several times until the stain lightens. Now spray cold water at the stained area and use a paper towel to dab it dry. Leave the carpet overnight to dry by itself.
- Sometimes, especially when enough time has passed, the stain gets deeper in the carpet fibers and becomes difficult to remove using the above methods. If that is the case, then it is best to use a detergent.
Take a small amount of detergent in lukewarm water and fill it in a spray bottle. Spray profusely at the stained area and gently wipe it using a clean cloth. Next, rinse the area using a sponge soaked in cold water. Let it sit overnight to dry. This method is not usually preferred because it might change the color of your carpet. If that happens, then you’ll have to use it all over your carpet so that its appearance looks even.
Carpet Stain Remover
- If the above-mentioned DIY methods have failed to achieve your desired results, you might consider using a commercially available stain remover. Stain removers usually come in a spray can; however, some are also available as spray solution bottles.
Stain removers contain chemicals and powerful detergents that can help you remove even the most stubborn of stains. It is advised to wear gloves and goggles when using stain removers. You can also refer to the information printed on the stain remover’s bottle for more information. For best results, it is advisable to follow the instructions printed on the bottle.
Hire A Professional
- If you have tried all of the above methods and your carpet’s mud stains are still present, hiring a professional cleaning service can help you.
Professional cleaning service not only has the required tools and chemicals at their disposal, but they also have years of experience dealing with stubborn carpet stains. This might be a costly option, but once your carpet’s look is restored, you’ll think that it was worth it.
- If you are struggling with stubborn mud stains on your carpets, then get in touch with Love Your Carpet today. We are one of the best carpet and upholstery cleaners working in Las Vegas since 1996. Call us today at 702-898-6070 for a free quote.