The best diy upholstery cleaning solutions for pet owners: easy, effective, and eco-friendly
While pets bring much happiness and joy, they also bring challenges, especially when they walk all over the carpets and upholstery with their muddy paws. The hairy pets can additionally leave your sofas full of fluff, requiring regular cleaning. We have listed five DIY upholstery cleaning solutions to help you keep your upholstery in a pristine condition.
Effective Ways to Eliminate Pet Hair
- One problem with pets is that they leave behind a trail of fur and dandruff that can cause health issues such as allergies, irritation, asthma, and breathing problems. The accumulation of pet hair on upholstery can make it look unsightly and give your space an untidy appearance. However, pet hair can be effectively removed with DIY upholstery cleaning solutions.
Glide a damp sponge over the surface of the upholstery to allow the fur to adhere to the sponge. Alternatively, use a hair magnet brush or a lint roller to capture stray hair. Another effective tool for picking up pet hair from your sofas is sticky tape. Wrap the tape around your hand and press it onto the area with the hair.
Eliminating Unpleasant Pet Odors from Upholstery
- Unwanted pet odors can cause discomfort to residents and visitors in your home. These may result from pet saliva and urine and cause your upholstery to become smelly and unsanitary.
Follow the steps below to effectively eliminate these offensive smells and restore the freshness of your upholstery.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the affected areas of your upholstered furniture.
- Spread and allow it to sit for a few hours. The baking soda will absorb and neutralize the unpleasant odors.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove the remaining baking soda residue.
- If the odor persists, seek professional assistance for deep cleaning and sanitizing.
Removing Stains Caused by Pets
Address stains promptly to protect your upholstery from permanent marks and damage. Here is what you can do to clean up pet stains from your upholstery:
- Quickly blot the area with a paper towel or clean cloth to soak up the fresh spills. Then, gently wash the stained area with cool water. Avoid rubbing the stain deeper into the fabric. Blot the area dry using a clean cloth.
- If the stain persists, use a dilute cleaning solution designed for upholstery. Apply a small amount of the solution to a clean cloth and gently blot the stain, working from the outer edges toward the center. Blot the area dry again to remove excess moisture.
- If the spill has dried on the surface of the upholstery, use a pet upholstery cleaner and odor remover for thorough cleaning. Gently scrub the stained area according to the instructions. However, ensuring that the cleaning agents you choose are safe for your pets is essential. Buy products that are non-toxic and pet-friendly.
Use Steam Cleaning For Stubborn Upholstery Stains
- Steam cleaning can be highly effective for stubborn stains that are difficult to remove with routine cleaning. It eliminates stains and kills germs which are crucial in houses with pets. The hot steam disinfects the upholstery and reduces the risk of allergies and infections.
Various steam cleaners are designed specifically for upholstered furniture. However, they may require the expertise of professional cleaners for optimal cleaning. In addition, regular professional cleaning is essential for high-quality results and for enhancing the appearance of your home.
If you fear you might damage your upholstery with DIY cleaning, hire our expert cleaners. We at Love Your Carpet are a highly experienced and qualified team of upholstery and carpet cleaners. We can help you remove any stains. We have been serving in Las Vegas since 1996. Call us today at 702-898-6070 for a free quote.