Learn about the six worst habits that contribute to early carpet replacement
Carpeting is a significant investment in your home, so you want it to last for a considerable length of time. However, certain practices can shorten its lifespan and leave it looking dull and worn before its time. Replacing a carpet can be time-consuming and expensive. Sometimes a good carpet is a rare find and you should do everything you can to protect it from harm.
Worst Practices That Age Your Carpets
- Although most mistakes that ruin a carpet are made during cleaning, there are everyday practices that can age your carpet as well. These are six of the worst things you can do to your carpet. By avoiding these practices, you can help extend the life of your carpet and keep it looking its best.
Prolonged Exposure To Water
- One of the quickest ways to damage your carpet is to regularly expose it to large amounts of water. Carpet is not meant to be constantly wet, so if you have an area in your home that gets a lot of foot traffic and tends to stay moist, it’s best to keep it covered with a rug or mat. If your carpet does get wet, be sure to dry it as quickly as possible to prevent mold and mildew from growing. A damp carpet is also a breeding ground for bacteria, so it’s essential to keep it clean and free of moisture.
Your Household Pets
- Pets can be challenging to the carpet’s integrity, especially if they have sharp claws or like to chew. To help protect your carpet from damage, trim your pet’s nails regularly and keep them away from areas where they are likely to chew or scratch. In addition, it’s essential to clean up after your pets to remove any dirt, hair, or other debris they may have left behind. Regular vacuuming and spot cleaning will help keep your carpet looking its best.
Ignoring Common Spills and Stains
- Stains are one of the most common causes of damage to carpets. To help prevent stains, clean up spills as soon as they happen. The longer a spill sits on the carpet, the more likely it will stain. If you do get a stain, there are a few things you can do to try to remove it. However, it’s essential to test any cleaners or solutions on an inconspicuous area of the carpet first to make sure they won’t damage the fibers.
Cigarette smoke is also a common cause of staining and can be difficult to remove. If you smoke cigarettes, it’s best to do so outside to avoid staining your carpet.
Snacking Over Carpets
- Eating and drinking over carpets can lead to stains, so it’s best to avoid doing it as much as possible. If you eat or drink over your carpet, be sure to clean up any spills right away. In addition, try to keep crumbs and other food debris off of the carpet by vacuuming regularly. This will help to prevent stains and keep your carpet looking its best.
Walking on Carpets with Dirty Shoes
- Dirty shoes can track in a lot of dirt and debris, quickly damaging your carpet. To help keep your carpet clean, remove your shoes before walking on them. If you can’t take your shoes off, wipe them clean before stepping onto the carpet. Also, be sure to vacuum and clean your carpets regularly to remove any dirt or debris that has been tracked in.
Using Deodorizer Powder
- Deodorizer powder can be a great way to keep your carpets smelling fresh. However, it can also damage the fibers if used too often. When using deodorizer powder on your carpet, follow the directions carefully and only use it as directed. Additionally, regularly vacuuming will help remove any powder build-up that could damage your carpet.
At Love Your Carpet, we provide the best carpet cleaning services for it. We aim to protect your carpet and treat it with the best products and methods. Not only will we fix your carpet as good as new, but we’ll also send it back better than before. We operate in Las Vegas and you can contact us at 702-898-6070.