Learn 4 ways to clean a dirty carpet and make it look like new
Carpets are a high-maintenance household item. To keep them in good shape and to maintain their hygiene, they require frequent cleaning using the right techniques. Most carpet cleaning techniques use water and detergents to remove the impurities that reside deep inside the carpets. All carpet cleaning methods have an ecological footprint, but by practicing preventive maintenance and choosing eco-friendly products, you can reduce their impact on the environment.
In this article, let us explore the top 4 eco-friendly ways to clean a dirty carpet.
Preventive Maintenance Through Regular Vacuuming
- The best way to reduce your carpet’s ecological footprint due to cleaning is by vacuuming it regularly. This will keep your carpet hygienic and reduce the need for deep cleaning. Another thing to remember is that before starting any deep cleaning method, it is important to vacuum first. This will prevent the impurities such as dust and debris from spreading on a larger scale and make the deep cleaning less product and labor-intensive.
Spot Treatments Through Natural Remedies
Spot treatment is the practice of cleaning and clearing a particular area on your carpet instead of cleaning the whole carpet. Spot treatments are usually applied at high-traffic areas and those areas that are more exposed to accidental spillovers. Spot treatments can be performed with the help of natural ingredients such as:
- Mud stains can be removed using Epsom salt
- Coffee stains can be removed with club soda
- Cornstarch for cutting grease
Over time, dirty carpets start to smell. You can keep the carpets fresh and odor-free using some common household items such as:
- Baking soda
- Sprinkling essential oils over the carpet
- Exposing it to sunlight for a little time. Proper ventilation also helps with odors.
Hot Water Extraction Cleaning
Hot water extraction is a commonly used method for deep cleaning the carpet. In this method, the carpet is sprayed with hot water at high pressure. It uses the combined force of thermal and mechanical energy to dislodge and dissolve the dirt and grime. Hot water extraction is a highly concentrated and intensive process, hence the water requirement is quite low. To reduce the environmental impact of this method, do the following:
- Choose a plant-based eco-friendly carpet cleaning agent. Plant-based cleaners use organic, biodegradable enzymes to break dirt and dust. They don’t leave a harsh chemical residue.
- Avoid detergents that have toxic components such as naphthalene. Naphthalene not only poses a health hazard but is detrimental to the health as well.
Dry Carpet Cleaning
This is a low-moisture carpet cleaning method. Also known as compound cleaning, this method is performed in two steps:
- Cleaning powder is sprinkled over the carpet fibers. It breaks down the dirt and grime and absorbs oil and other impurities.
- After about 30 minutes, the carpet is vacuumed. The vacuuming removes the cleaning powder as well as the decomposed dirt and debris.
Dry Carpet Cleaning uses very little water to activate the cleaning powder. To make this process greener, you can use natural products that act as cleaning agents. One such product is the baking soda infused with a few drops of lavender oil. Sprinkle it over the carpet, let it rest for 20-30 minutes, and vacuum it afterward. It will clean your carpet and leave it with a sweet lavender scent.
Love Your Carpets provides professional carpet cleaning services in Las Vegas. We take great care in making our processes as green as possible. Call us at 702-898-6070 to get a free estimate of our services.