Learn 5 DIY carpet cleaning hacks for keeping carpets fresh and clean
Cleaning your carpet can be a cumbersome task if one goes in blindly. There is a lot of things you have to keep in mind, based on the material and type of carpet you have. To avoid basic mistakes when cleaning the carpet, you should know of a few hacks to help you out.
DIY Carpet Cleaning Hacks
Use A Lint Roller
- A lint roller is a very handy tool that can help your carpets look new for longer. One of the most common issues in long-haired carpets is that vacuuming does not pick up all the dirt and debris from within.
The carpet may look clean from the top but you can feel the crumbs under your feet. Lint rollers help pick up this debris and clean your carpets thoroughly. It takes around five minutes to clean an average-sized carpet.
Remove Pet Hair Regularly
- Pet hair is a menace for all sorts of carpets. It can cause them to look dull and get clogged in the fibers as well. Depending on the pet you have, shedding can be anywhere from light to overwhelming. Vacuum cleaners and lint rollers are not fit for getting the entire job done either.
If you have a carpet with short fibers, a squeegee is the best tool to remove pet hair. The large flat surface gathers the hair and helps dislodge them from its place, making it easier for you to remove it from the carpet.
Make Sure To Blot Instead Of Rub
- When it comes to stains on your carpet, rubbing the stain is one of the worst things you can do. Rubbing can push the stain deeper into the carpet’s fibers, making it impossible to clean in the future. The proper method for tackling such a situation is to blot the stain instead.
Use a cloth with high absorption and gently dab it on the stained area. The pressure applied will release the stain from the carpet and the cloth will absorb it.
Use Area Rugs and Runners
- When guests are coming over and you know certain areas in your room are high traffic areas, you can use area rugs and runners to minimize wear on your carpet. This is because a lot of traffic can cause the carpet to dull and wear down in certain places, making it look uneven throughout.
Area rugs and runners can help withstand high traffic in certain areas and even reduce the possibility of spills on the carpet itself.
Pick Up Solids With A Putty Knife
- When you drop solids on the carpet such as food, the first instinct is to pick it up with a cloth or your hands. This, however, can cause you to release the oils or liquid in that food, further staining the carpet. The best thing to do is pick up the solids with a putty knife.
This will ensure the food is not pressed into the carpet and will make picking it up much easier. It is useful to keep a putty knife handy near areas where you eat and there is a carpet below.
At Love Your Carpet, we provide the best carpet cleaning services for it. We aim to protect your carpet and treat it with the best products and methods. Not only will we fix your carpet as good as new, but we’ll also send it back better than before. We operate in Las Vegas and you can contact us at 702-898-6070.